Saturday, October 07, 2006

canadian geese, fall leaves, and northern lights

Last weekend I got to hang out with a Japanese student I had in the summer. We went to Fort Whyte Centre, which is a wildlife conservation place and watched all of the Canadian Geese come in for the night. Wow--how beautiful! There were tonnes--it was so neat to see the lake, over the span of 45 minutes just FILL up with them. I also just love seeing all of the beautiful colours of the leaves.


La fin de semana pasada, fui con una de mis estudiantes de japon a un lugar cerca de mi cuidad donde hay muchos lagos y arboles. Fuimos a ver los gansos porque ellos vienen a este lugar a dormir (en este tiempo, estan viajando al sur por el invierno). Fue cheverissimo ver bastante gansos llenan el lago. Tambien, me encanta los colores de las hojas en este tiempo.



There were also some other neat stuff there, like tipis.

Tambien en este lugar hubo otras cosas, como los "tipis." Eran las casas mobil de los indigenous muchos anos atras.

My friend had also REALLY wanted to see the Northern Lights. A lot of my students have come here, hoping to see them. I tried to tell her that, well, you know, we are still a little south to see them really well and one can never know when they'll appear. But I did ask my small group bible study to pray that God would send them on that day and someone in my group said, "Well, let's pray that she sees a shooting star, too!" Well, guess what? We DID see the Northern Lights AND a shooting star! God is good. And it was so great to see her reaction, she was sooooo excited! It's unfortunate how when we've seen God's beautiful creation a few times, it can be easy to lose that sense of awe. My friend definitely helped bring that back.


Tambien, mi amiga quiso ver los aurora borealis ("northern lights" o "luzes del norde"). Aveces les podemos ver cerca de mi cuidad pero es mucho mejor si vayas mas norde. Tambien, nunca sabemos cuando appreceran, entonces la dije que "probablemente no les vamos a ver." Pero igual, pide a mi grupo de estudio biblica que oremos que Dios nos muestra los northern lights--y uno de mis amigos dijo "Y oramos tambien que ustedes veran una estrella que caen"(no se la palabra correcta). Y en la noche cuando sali con este amiga, vimos los Nothern Lights Y este estrella!!! Gloria a Dios! Mi amiga no es cristiana pero ese me dio la oportunidad decirla: "Mira que Dios te envio! Esta deciendote que te ama." Que maravilla!

2 Comments:

At 9:14 a.m., Blogger karis said...

thanks Sharon -- I've been incredibly blessed by you too. I'm so thankful that our friendship didn't just end at Bible school. . . because it's so much better now!! I love you! That's so cool about your student -- yeah, the northern lights are a big topic of conversation here (well, when Canada comes up), so that's really cool! I understand about losing a great pet too -- it's definitely like losing a great companion, that innocent faithfulness (ok, that was an interesting expression, but you get me?) take care and enjoy the fall as much as you can. :-)

 
At 7:02 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebecca
Hi!
dear Sharon~
thank so much for everying!
how about your on vacation?
You told me you didn't meet handsome guy Are you sure ?
There were long on vacation
but you had good time yaaaa.....
I saw some pictures , that is so beautiful country , I want to try that country food .
I miss you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home