Sunday, August 27, 2006

all-night dance party in my room

Well, I could have had one, anyways! The house right beside where I'm staying was blaring the music into my room (ah, Ecuador!). I was sure I'd be up all night--but I was so tired, I fell asleep in a few minutes (thank God!)

So, yup, I'm in Ecuador--arrived yesterday afternoon. It's weird--in some ways it feels like I never left. Even my Spanish is pretty much the same level (some think it's better). But it sure has been good to see everyone again.

Yesterday I actually got to go to a wedding for a girl from the church. I don't know her that well but I was Ludy's (the mom of the family that I'm staying with) date. It was neat (although I was super tired because I didn't get much sleep on my trip--the floor at Miami airport isn't that comfortable!) Anyways, there were mariachi and everything. Pretty neat! I'll be able to post the pictures when I'm back in Canada.

It's so neat to be in a different country--one's senses are more awake--you notice all of the different smells, sights, sounds, tastes, etc. The smell of dust mixed with diesel. The horns honking in the street. The vendors shouting their wares as they go down the road. The fresh watermelon juice. The brightly painted houses (orange, purple, green, and blue). Even the taste of water on such a hot day (although I've been forturnate that the yesterday and today have been cloudy and a bit cooler!).

Anyways, I'd better go but I'll keep you posted!

Bendiciones (blessings)

3 Comments:

At 5:54 p.m., Blogger Cordella said...

I am soooo sorry I didn't get the chance to call you before you left but I hope you are having a marvelous time and I miss you already!!! Enjoy yourself!!!!!

 
At 9:34 a.m., Blogger karis said...

that is AWESOME!! I'm soo glad that I checked in at your blog -- I can almost experience it by reading about the "dance party" (I'm sure it would be a bit more "vibrant" in real life, though) I totally know what you mean, that your senses are acute when you're somewhere else -- you just have so much more motivation to take everything in. That's great about your Spanish too -- you go Sharon! Have an amazing time, and post again if you get the chance! Love you, K

 
At 12:57 p.m., Blogger Tam said...

Glad you're enjoying your trip! Oh to be on a trip...oh well. Have a wonderful time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home