Saturday, January 14, 2006

Why I'm not a Grade 7 teacher

So, for my work, I sometimes do classroom presentations on topics such as career exploration, resumes, etc.
Well, on Thursday I started a series of presentations in one of the grade 7 classes. Oh my. Were we ever like that? There were 15 kids to start off with--by the middle of the class, half of them had gotten kicked out (well, some left on their own). And I ended up being left with a bunch of little boys very interested in the topic of bodily functions.
They probably were largely just testing me (thankfully, the teacher was still in the room--substitute teachers, I have a tremendous amount of respect for you!)so hopefully it'll go better next week--cause I have 5 more classes with them!
I've had experience teaching older students and adults but this was my first stint teaching adolescents. Definitely a learning experience for me. Hopefully I can get something together for Monday that will suit this class (games, games, and more games).


Por mi trabajo, aveces voy a los classes para hacer lecturas sobre careras, encontrand trabajo, etc.
Bueno, el jueves fui a una classe en el 7 grado. Wow--era asi cuando tenia sus edades? Hubo 15 estudiantes al principio--y al fin, solo hubo 8 porque los otros estuvieron muy malo. Y al fin, solo hubo ninos, hablando de los funciones del cuerpo.
Probablemente estuvieron asi porque estoy nuevo (gracias a Dios, el maestro se quedo en las classe--tengo mucho respecto por los substitutos!). Espero que se van mejor en la proxima semana--porque tengo 5 classes mas con este classe!
He tenido experiencia enseniendo personnes sobre la edad de 15 pero nunca de este edad. Definitivamente, voy a apprender mucho. Ojala puedo prepara una clase por lunes que es interesante y divertido por ellos (juegos, juegos, y juegos!)

5 Comments:

At 11:04 a.m., Blogger Cordella said...

I was picturing this whole scene and it brought a chuckle to my mind:)

 
At 7:04 p.m., Blogger Tam said...

haha...don't worry Sharon, it does get easier. I've been lucky this year, i haven't been bit, kicked, spit on, or had to chase any students when they run from school...yet. :) You just chalk it up to experience.

 
At 10:32 p.m., Blogger karina said...

ah, junior high. what glorious memories. we were never like that... haha

 
At 10:57 a.m., Blogger Janelle said...

yes, we WERE like that! and we thought we were SOOO cool. i feel for ya Sharon - those kids drive me nuts! but every age group has their good sides & their bad sides, and you'll do great at any age!

 
At 8:24 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the note on my blog. I don't work with the youth, I'm a C & C girl! We'll have to work something out with Youth Advance. Is there time to steal away for a while?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home