Sunday, November 20, 2005

NUT (what I've been up to) SHELL

Well, for those of you who don't know, I went to Ecuador on a TREK team about three years ago. Such a good experience! My team and I worked in a daycare at a church and taught English there, too. Well, I ended up going back by myself for another 9 months the following year, teaching more English. I never saw myself as a teacher because I didn't used to like being in front of people. I really had no choice when I was on TREK, though, so I did it...and I LOVED it! It's neat how God shapes us.

So, anyways, came back to Canada last July and (finally) got some official training for teaching English as a Second Language, also finished up my Bethany BA. Then, this past summer I got a sweet job teaching ESL at a school here in Winnipeg. I just love being around and getting to know international students! (I know that will surprise you, Cordella ;) God really blessed me with some neat friendships.

Right now I'm working at an inner city high school, in the guidance office. Basically I help students prepare resumes, find jobs, get hooked up with volunteer ops, and figure out (or at least get a sense of) what they want to do after high school and how to get there. I started in October so it's still pretty new but I'm liking it so far. It's only a position until the end of the school year so we'll see what happens next....who knows? I do know that I love Latin America and I love teaching English....I'll have to see God's timing.

QUE HE ESTADO HACIENDO...
Bueno, despues de mi tiempo cheverissimo en Ecuador, tome un curso formal para apprender mejor como ensenar ingles. Es interessante por que antes que fui a Ecuador no tenia ningun deseo ser "teacher"--a mi no me gustaba estar en frente de otros persones. Pero no tenia un otro opcion, entonces lo hize--y descubri que me encanta hacerlo bastante! Es interessante como Dios nos forma.

Tambien cumpli mis estudios por mi titulo y este verano (julio y agosto) ensene ingles a una escuelita de ingles muy chevere aqui en Winnipeg. A mi me encanta estar con estudiantes internacional! Dios me bendigo con algunas amistades muy especial.

Ahora estoy trabajando en un colegio en el centro de mi ciudad, en la oficina. Basicamente ayudo los estudiantes encontrar trabajo y oportunidades donde pueden estar volunatrios, tambien discubrir que quieren hacer despues de colegio. Solamente he estado haciendolo desde octubre pero aun me gusta. Este trabajo solo se dura hasta junio...y quien sabe que pasara despues? Yo se que a mi me encanta L. America y me encanta ensenar ingles....tengo que esperar en Dios y en Su tiempo.

4 Comments:

At 10:32 p.m., Blogger Cordella said...

what? you like international students? well, that comment brought a smile to my face:)

 
At 8:26 p.m., Blogger Andrea said...

Hi Sharon! I am so excited to hear about what you've been up to.

I knew that you were in Ecuador, but I kindof lost track after that.

Sounds like you're doing well, and I'd love to catch up a bit.

My blog is: www.warmcozyblanket.blogspot.com
and my e-mail address is apadgett@telus.net

Hope to hear from you soon!
Andrea

 
At 8:41 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I haven't seen you forever! I'm glad to hear that you are doing well. I was amazed to find my name on your blog list already! I haven't even figured out how to make my Links list yet...I haven't tried real hard either!
It will be good to catch up with you again. We will be in the Peg over Christmas some time. We will have to see each other, k?

 
At 11:53 a.m., Blogger Tam said...

Sharon,
I totally understand your love for Latin America! I want to go back someday as well. I love the culture and the different lifestyle. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home