Wednesday, January 09, 2008

ONLY 6 days in Cuenca?!?!?!?!

Wow, I´m tired! We got our classes Sunday morning and classes started Monday. I was given two advanced classes (thankfully, the same ones) called "Comparing Cultures." Basically we get to explore all sorts of different aspects of cultures from around the world--fascinating, but also a TONNE of work for me, as there is no book to follow--I get to put together the curriculum. There´s a lot of material here at the school, but I have this tendency to overdo things at times....

One of those classes also just ended up having one student and when that happens, it becomes a "tutorial"--which means less hours with the same amount of material. Added to that, he wants 2 hours a day (my other class is an hour and fifteen minutes), so I´ve got to put together my material extra fast. I was QUITE stressed out on Monday, but things are looking a lot better now. I also have a 7 am class from Monday-Friday, plus a 4 hour Saturday morning class (haven´t met those students yet).

So, the past three days, it's felt like I've been living here at the school. On the weekend, though, I got out to do some exploring of Cuenca. It really is a beaufitul city--very colonial, with cobblestone streets everywhere.

I´m living in a quiet neighbourhood with my friend Monica. We've been getting along really great. Her brother was visiting for a week, but he went back to Guayaquil today, so I'll be able to get my own room. It really is amazing how everything worked out with my living arrangements!

This past weekend was the "day of the magi" and I stumbled upon a parade in celebration of the "Christ Child." I actually didn't have my camera with me but, in good old Ecuadorian fashion, the parade got stalled for about half an hour, so I had time to grab a cab to my apartment, grab my camera and head back to get some pics of the tail end of the procession. I'll post some pics when I get the chance.

On Sunday I went with Monica to her church. She's attending the a HUGE church--has 4000 members that meet over 5 different services. I must admit at first I felt rather alone in the church--I'm so used to the friendly outgoingness of my church in Guayaquil. People in Cuenca are a lot more reserved so it will take some getting used to.

Well, that's been my life here in Cuenca up until now. It really does feel like I've been here for ages already--I'm looking forward to getting into the swing of things.

Oh, one more thing: I've got a nasty cold, so that's really been draining my strength. I'd appreciate your prayers for a speedy recovery!

1 Comments:

At 8:37 a.m., Blogger Cordella said...

Hey Sharon:) I hope you are settling a little bit better now and feeling better too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home